Sunday, July 26, 2009

Weekend in Paradise

The week in Vienna was wonderful. Most of our time there was focused around dead people but it was still pretty cool. We got to see the catacombs underneath the St. Stephan's Cathedral. This was really crazy because we saw a bunch of mass graves where all the bones were visibly. One of them was even "organized" to save space. We had a nice tour of the cemetery of Vienna. It was really hot and we were unable to find the graves we were looking for but we got to look inside the church used for the cemetery. It was in the art deco style, which I'm not really fond of but it was still nice to see. To end the week, we went to the Medical School of Vienna were we got to see the wax collection and we also go to see the skills lab. The lab is where the med students practice suturing, drawing blood, and inserting catheters. Everything's a lot harder than it looks!

Five of us spent the weekend in Switzerland, which was awesome! It's so beautiful here and there is so much to do, but it's kind of expensive. On Saturday we went horse back riding through the base of the Swiss Alps. On Sunday we went canyoning! This was amazing too. I'll have to admit I'm not too brave when it comes to repelling. I'm not really scared of heights but I am scared of jumping off the side of a 50 meter cliff! I surprisingly was able to do the repel which was the worst part of the entire thing. After that we got to slide down natural slides into freezing cold water from the Swiss Alps glacier! There were a couple of times I was in shock and had to wait a few seconds to catch my breath...haha.

Sadly we leave tomorrow morning but we do head back to Bonn! I'm excited because I miss my host family and I feel like Bonn is kind of a second home...I've caught myself saying, "When we go home..," in reference to Bonn! :)

No comments: