Tuesday, July 07, 2009

First few days in Germany

My first few days in Germany have been exciting. I am enjoying it even more than I thought I would. The trip here was much longer than I would have liked. I felt so gross when we finally arrived at the AIB in Bonn. Luckily I didn't have to wait long for my host mom and sister to pick me up. At first I was worried when the daughter refused to speak English. She soon started to speak to me and bonded some over music. My host mother, Ingrid, is one of the nicest people. She is always cheerful and eager to answer any question I may have. It is fun to compare cultures and learn more about each other. She also is a very good cook but I have yet to have German food. I don't think I could ask for a better arrangement here.
I have really enjoyed walking around the city. When it isn't raining the weather is amazing! Everything is also so beautiful. I was worried at first about taking public transportation but I now love it. I would say the one thing I don't like is that Germans don't smile or say hello when passing each other on the street. I said hallo to one person while wondering around Tannensbush and he stopped me I think to ask if he knew me. I like our tradition in Texas. Its really hard not to say hallo when walking to my tram stop!
Even though we have only completed our second day of the program I have really enjoyed it. Everyone at AIB is extremely friendly. I really enjoyed the lecture on 20 century history from the perspective of a German. The scavenger hunt today was a lot of fun. I enjoyed walking around the city talking to some of the natives and learning more about the places we pass each day. I also think it made me more comfortable going up to people and trying to communicate. Germans really do speak English really well!
I look forward to enjoying more of this wonderful country!
-Laura

No comments: