Monday, June 20, 2022

Em's Week 2: Religion



 

I grew up in a Baptist church. I was privileged to have the opportunity to participate in Bible studies as a child and more, but coming to Cologne changed my perspective on the devotion to religion. I understand that in America, Christianity arrived so much later than it did in Europe. We didn't have the chance during Roman and Gothic times to build extravagant cathedrals, but here in Cologne, with a looming, beautiful, ethereal, work of art in front of you as soon as you leave the city, it's easy to understand the importance and eminence, and devotion people of this time in Europe showed towards religion! Also, now that we are learning how the history of medicine are intertwined with religion and their foundational principles being established in a church, I found it cool being able to point out saints and remember their afflictions from class. It was a beautiful rejuvenation for my spiritual faith!

No comments: