Friday, June 10, 2022

Week 1 Recap

 This blog is a little late because I have been forgetting to do them. I have been writing in a journal to document my experienecs, and this blog simply slipped my mind. This serves as a recap of the first week we spent in Bonn. This first week was full of suprises and adjustments. Adjustments to the new time frame, adjustments to my host family, and adjustments to the German culture. It took some time but I slowly started to feel like less of a foreigner in this new country, but there have been moments where I am very confused and feel out of place. My lack of actual skill in German sometimes is a hindrance, but I feel like it has been a great way to truly experience real German cuisine. In this first week, I did a thing where I would simply find a random item on the menu, and just order it despite not really knowing what may be in it. I slowly learned new words in order to know exactly what I was ordering, but I felt like that first week and that practice was a great way to truly experience German culture in the food.

The first week consisted of lots of class, but my favorite part of the week was a trip to the Botanical gardens in Bonn near the University. It was very cool and quite impressive. A great way to spend the afternoon after getting out of class early! I will provide some pictures for reference below. The weekend involved a hike around a forest close to Bonn and a hike up to the Drachenfels castle on Saturday. On Sunday, I went with my host family to a festival at an old castle in Kobkenz. This was a turning point in my relationship with mu host family as it felt like I was truly with them. Both of these excusrions offerred some great views. 




No comments: