Thursday, June 16, 2022

Norderney Reflection

My time in Norderney was unlike any other experience I’ve had before. From the moment we got on the ferry, I knew things were going to be interesting. The island’s song was being blasted from a small little speaker by a few locals, creating an exciting atmosphere that told me good times were ahead. This feeling proved correct! I could instantly tell the air was healthier when we got to the island, and I loved feeling the air as we biked to our hostel. After getting a feel for the island on our bike tour, I went to bed content and excited for the rest of our time on the island.

The badehaus was truly an adventure. After learning about thalassotherapy and history of saunas, I was excited to get to experience it in real life. It was so clean inside and didn’t smell like chlorine, but instead like tranquility and relaxation. The slightly quiet atmosphere curated a space where we could relax and be zen. I really enjoyed the hot salt water bath with the open sky. Boiling like a lobster was actually quite pleasant, and I loved feeling the cold rain on my face. The mud treatment was interesting. I enjoyed feeling it on my skin, but I didn’t quite understand the process of sitting with it on and then showering it off. I also didn’t like the smell, but it was still a relaxing time. The saunas were lovely! I found that the higher up in the sauna I was, the hotter and harder to breathe, so I stuck to the lower levels. I enjoyed the 85 degree one. The cold bucket dumped on me after was actually refreshing and was perfect after sweating inside. Overall, I enjoyed my time and I would even go back to a badehaus.

The mud flat hikes were so cool. I felt like a little kid exploring the little creatures found in the mud. I loved our guide and found her knowledge to be very impressive. The mud was so cool to walk on, especially when it got deeper. I also enjoyed standing in the North Sea. This type of learning is my favorite because it’s easier for me to learn when I’m surrounded by what I’m learning. It’s more hands-on and easier for me to understand. Getting to hold the creatures the guide was talking about was perfect for me, and it made me even more excited to learn.

My Norderney experience was super interesting, and I enjoyed learning all that I did. I hope to walk on the mud flats again one day, and maybe even go to another badehaus in the future.

No comments: