Thursday, June 16, 2022

Amsterdam

 After leaving Norderney, I traveled with several other students to Amsterdam, sharing a six-person private hostel. I completely overestimated the size of this city. I assumed it was comparable to Houston, but I soon realized the population was only 1 million people. I was also surprised by the lack of skyscrapers. Instead the streets wound around arching canals, walled by buildings all about 6 stories tall. The most interesting part of the weekend was accidentally attending a Dutch first communion ceremony. Afterwards I had a few hours to burn before meeting up with friends for dinner, and stumbled apon a bluegrass band from New York. In addition to all this, The public parks in Amsterdam were surreal. At one point, my friend Caitlin said, "If a centaur were to appear right now I would be unphased". It was a little eerie to see so many people quietly concentrated in one beautiful place.  

No comments: