Tuesday, June 21, 2022

Blog Episode 5: I lost my phone :(

     Sadly, as compared to my last few posts, this one will include far fewer photos, as in none. With that said, that doesn't mean there aren't tales to tell so let me hop right in. Within this past week returning from my trip to Amsterdam, I realized that Bonn feel comfortable, safe, feelings associated with home. In just a few weeks I somehow found myself navigating the streets and train systems with ease, the German words I'm learning flowing much easier off of my tongue, and this growing dread in my chest for when I cross the Rhine once more in departure. 

        Yesterday after class I headed to a strip of cafes and shops in the neighborhood behind the botanical gardens, chatting the whole way there. We went to a series of thrift and coffee shops before realizing that our energy levels were far too low with the promise of the effort pacing for Vienna would ensue that night, so we headed back to hbf. Once safely back in my home, I flopped onto my bed as one does after a long day, and reached for my bag to retrieve my phone so that I could catch my dad up on my day. The only problem with this was, my phone wasn't in my bag. I frantically searched every pocket over 5 times before shuffling downstairs to let my host parents in on my dilemma. Long story short, after 4 hours of missing item reports, contacting the shops I visited, and retracing steps in town, I retreated to my home to have my last dinner with my family. 

    Their departure to Vietnam to visit family coincides with my third day on our Vienna excursion, and therefore I had to say goodbye to my sweet family a bit earlier than I anticipated. I will be sure to write a whole entry on my family to give them the post they deserve, but for now I wil say that it was a lovely evening that I will appreciate for a long time to come. Losing my phone is very upsetting but I'm doing my best to keep things in perspective. I'm here, in Europe, having one of the most incredible experiences in my life, and I simply refuse to let my learning be dampened by a handheld computer. or lack thereof. Within the first day, I hope to purchase a film camera to record my memories, keep my journal handy, and simply live in the moment. I'm looking at the bright side, and I've heard that Vienna has got a lot for me to see! 

No comments: