Tuesday, June 14, 2022

Hiking to the Drachenfels

 On Sunday we hiked up to the Drachenfels, the ruins of an old fortress standing on the spot where a hero of German legend supposedly slayed a dragon. This was, and I say this with no exaggeration, the steepest hike of my life. When we approached the hill, I thought "Wow, this is steep, but luckily it'll level out soon." How wrong I was. If anything, it got steeper. 

Luckily, I was not the only one struggling. Those of us in the asthma gang banded together and made sure everyone had enough medication to survive the climb. When we got to the top, the views were absolutely gorgeous. A group of German men started singing songs. The actual ruins were the oldest thing I have ever seen up close, so that was great. 

This was a great experience. I am someone who has always loved the idea of legends and fairy tales, and it is a place like the Drachenfels that makes me want to believe in magic. 

No comments: