Friday, June 03, 2022

Blog Episode 3: Sunday Morning !

 This blog post is wrapping up my second week here but I want to write specifically about church. My religion is a very integral part of my identity, and is thus exploring my religion in a new setting is an important aspect of being abroad. Looking ahead to my trip back in months prior to departure, I wasn't sure how my faith would fit into my experience, but even after two weeks I can declare that I have had an adjustment of perspective. 

On Mittwoch, we embarked upon our study excursion to Cologne and I was unprepared to say the least for the colossal cultural gemstone that waited for me there. While the Dom's striking beauty from its exterior would definitely be enough to make a lasting impression on ones life, we were privileged to transcend the effects of only a distant impression. Being able to walk through its sanctuary and even scale its towers, I tried my best to soak in the facts from the tour guides, the light pouring through the colored windows, the pitch of the bell chimes, and all of the components of experience that fell into my subconscious. As my feet tread the tile, I could only think of how many pairs of shoes had done so before me. Doing so made me appreciate that my faith was something that tied me to each of these people through hundreds of years; an invisible string of sorts. From then on, I looked up from the floor with a new mindset. When I analyzed a component of the architecture or décor, I recognized its significance. Then, more importantly, I took a moment to ponder who mastered the craft of designing it, creating it, maintaining it, repairing it, preserving it, and who else had the honor of viewing it as I had. 

In my free time before and after classes I have taken a special side mission to explore the local churches and cathedrals that I've spotted on the city's skyline. On one of my attempts to navigate home without a map, I got moderately disoriented and ended up on a 2 mile detour attempting to make my way to what I thought was the church near my house. When I reached its courtyard I realized that I had actually discovered yet another beautiful house of worship. For each one that I have discovered, I take a moment to appreciate its exterior, before entering silently ready to observe the essence of the inside. While each has its own ornate decorations and tributes, all of the churches that I have experienced bring about a feeling of peace and grounding that I cherish and seek to experience increasingly more often. 






No comments: