Tuesday, January 13, 2009

You got one shot

Monday in Bad Oeynhausen may have been the best day by far on the trip. I didn't think I would be bale to handle being in an OR room since blood isn't really my thing, but when in my life would I be given another opportunity? So I sucked it up, scrubbed up (which I wanted to take pictures of) and went in. Jared, Brian, and I witnessed an aortic valve replacement. At first it was hard since I'm short and the curtain came really high so I got a calf workout and it was worth it. The doctor finished the operation in under an hour, and made it look so easy. They placed a mechanical valve with two flaps in the heart. The doctors were also really nice to explain what they were doing in English so we could fully understand what was going on. After lunch we toured ICE and got to play with an MRI Machine, which was a lot of fun. Today we woke up at an ungodly hour to travel to Vienna where we will finish our travels. (scary thought)

No comments: