Friday, January 16, 2009

So Long, Farewell

After spending nearly a week in Vienna, all I can say it is absolutely AMAZING!!!! Vienna is my favorite city that we visited on this trip. The architecture is gorgeous, a perfect blend of the modern and the historic, and I find myself very comfortable in this clean and spacious environment. Vienna's style of high society, sophistication and class that give the city its extra appeal. Nevertheless the abundant cafes are quite inviting and cozy, and I have thoroughly enjoyed my diet of chocolate, hot chocolate, chocolate crepes, chocolate cakes, bread, and sugar!

Before I continue on with the highlights of Vienna, I must mention the our day trip to Bad Oeynhausen at the begining of the week. I think the opportunity to observe an open heart surgery, might be one of the best way to shake the Monday blues. To begin with, the Heart and Diabetes Center in Bad Oeynhausen was the nicest hospital I have ever been in. The many large windows, contempary paintings and sculpture art spread throughout the hospital gave it a happy upbeat feel; a vibe I generally dont get from a typical hospital. Consistant with all of the other hospital visits/ physician lectures on this program, I was very impressed by the doctors that we met. They were very encouraging and excited for us to learn and experience their trade first hand. But, the best part was definitely watching open heart surgery. Despite the fact that I have seen countless operations, nothing compares to seeing a chest split wide open to expose a beating human heart! The heart was much larger than I expected, and beat in a more violent fashion than I had assumed. While in the OR I thought it was a pretty impressive sight, but my enthusiasm only intensified as the day went on. At the Heart and Diabetes Center I also learned a lot about VADs (Ventricular Assistance Devices). From both a medical and engineering stand point I find these devices fascinating and I am eager to do some follow up research on VADs when I return home.

Back to Vienna...
On our first day here, we went to see St. Stephen's Catherdral. The cathedral is breathtaking in all of its traditional gothic splendor, but the dark and damp catacombs with thousands of dead bodies buried in mass graves, left the largest impression on me!

Highlights from day two would include the Freud museum and the operetta. I am very intrigued by Freud but know less about him than I would like. I am fascinated with dreams (their meaning and interpretation) and the power of the subconsious. I received a good background of information from the museum and Dr. Wasser's lecture, but I am excited to read the book I purchased at the museum on the analysis of the Freud's "The Interpretation of Dreams" and the history of psychoanalysis.
Since I found out about our planned trip to the Operetta, I have been very excited. But I must admit I was excited for the cultural aspect of it, and I was apprehensive as to whether I would actually enjoy the performance. I loved the comedy and entertainment of the show and am forever grateful for the supertitles!!

Yesterday might have been one of the greatest days of my life...seriously! I went to the Belvedere, to see "The Kiss" by Gustav Klimpt!!! Art history is a true passion of mine and my ABSOLUT'E FAVORITE painting in the world is The Kiss. When I was first introduced to this painting in high school, I wonder if I would ever actually have the opportunity to see it in person, being that its permanent home is in Vienna, and I could not imagine what might bring me to this wonderful city. So when I saw it yesterday, I wasn't quite sure how I should respond, but I can just say it was a very great moment!!!!!

Today I enjoyed Viennese sights and sounds as I wonder through the streets, visitied a large market area that I highly recommended, and browsed in and out of shops in the SUNSHINE!!!! (the first in 2 weeks!)

As my trip comes to a close, I am ready to go home but definitely sad to leave . It has been the most wonderful experience, and I hope to come back in the near future (but hopefully in the summer so I can further enjoy the landscapes and parks in full color!)

Fortunately, I still have a lot to look forward to! In a few hours I board a train for a quick weekend visit to PARIS!!!!

No comments: