Thursday, January 01, 2009

Wow

This trip is just flying by, I can't believe that we're already coming up on our first free weekend to Prague! It's going to be time to go home before we know it. For my blogs I've decided to post the "Reader's Digest" version of my journal entries.
The travel day getting here was way too complicated for my tastes, and I have never had any kind of mishaps while travelling before.The only good thing that happened was the free pizza we got in Abilene because we were stranded there for 2 or 3 hours. And the fact that my bag didn't make it until a day after I did was not helpful at all. It has taken me a very long time to get over the jet lag, but I think I'm finally on a better sleep schedule. During our stay in Bonn, I loved all the people that we spent time with! Olaf was an amazing guy that made the *best* breakfast for us every morning, and hanging out with him on Tuesday evening was great! Stefanie was so cute and helpful and didn't mind helping me with my luggage situation. Dr. Zack was cool too, I definitely enjoyed his tour of the city and his saying about the difference between Americans and Germans. I was a little sad when we had to leave as I was finally getting acquainted with the city and being able to (kind of) make my way around. All the buildings and architecture that I've seen has been so amazing, it's going to be hard going back to College Station with its plain-Jane buildings.
The discussion on homeopathy by Dr. Weiland was interesting, I had no idea that alternative medicine was that big in Germany. I've never been to or known a homeopath, so most of what he was talking about was new to me. I am going to want to check out his website with all the plants and what they are used for in this field of medicine. The Cologne excursion was fantastic! I could tell that Andre really loved his hometown and the things he showed were great. I loved the cathedral and the history behind it; I especially remember the competition with France and the three wise men. Dr. Wasser's first lecture was very intriguing. I had heard only a little bit about euthanasia in Germany before the war, and learning all the details about what kinds of people were chosen for this procedure was horrifying. And the transfer of doctors from euthanasia centers to concentration camps makes sense, but is still a terrible fact. After class someone told me that in American in the 1920s or 30s (maybe? correct me if I'm wrong), there was also a similar kind of happening. I had never heard about that at all, so that's another thing I want to read more about when I get the chance. It's hard to imagine the US going through a time like that, but like Dr. Wasser said, we're all the exact same except for the way we think. These events could happen anywhere.
That's it for now, this is getting a little long and people need the computer. Auf wiedersehen (sp?)!

No comments: