Tuesday, January 13, 2009

The Waiting is the Hardest Part

Just when I thought it couldn't get more interesting/relevant... we go to Bad Oeynhausen to the Heart and Diabetes Center. After getting back from Amsterdam, which was the weirdest/most sketchy city I've been in, we take a day trip to this clinic to learn more about cardiac surgery and actually observe an operation for a few hours. Twelve of us got to observe 1 of 6 procedures, meaning two of us chose one procedure we liked and went in together. Dr. Mirow, one of the senior surgeons at the clinic, briefed us on each case, which were pretty much either coronary artery bypass (CAB) or valve replacement.

I was pretty familiar with both procedures, except for one aortic valve replacement case on a patient who had a largely dilated ascending aorta that possibly needed reconstruction using a wide Dacron graft. I was hooked, and Francisco and I jumped on that one pretty quick. Once we got in there, we learned that it was a double valve replacement (aortic and mitral) and that the aortic reconstruction probably wasn't going to happen. The surgeon, Dr. Morshuis I believe, discussed the ramifications of completely arresting a 76 year old man, even for 10 minutes to do the procedure. So it didn't sound like they would go through with it. Regardless, that was the biggest aorta I'd ever seen, not that I've seen that many, but it looked like another organ growing on top of this guy's heart... truly fascinating.

Anyway, we got to see most of the valve replacements. We had leave right after he slipped in the new mitral valve. It was really cool to see the consistency of techniques between countries. Although the surgeon I assisted is from Berlin (ironically), he used almost exactly the same steps in his valve replacement procedures as Dr. Morshuis did yesterday. After lunch, we had a tour of the VAD ward, a very interesting tour that I was able to get a lot from. I asked our tour guide a ton of questions, and got his perspective on a few different debates going on in regard to VAD research. After a quick tour of the MRI unit, we bid farewell to Stefi and headed back to Hannover.

On the way back I realized how bittersweet these kinds of experiences can be. On the one hand, I'm extremely excited and interested to observe these procedures and discuss certain things with the physicians. On the other hand, however, after I'm done shadowing or assisting, the last thing I want to do is go back to school. And I have not only for one semester, but for 4 years plus one semester. It's not that I don't enjoy school, it has it's ups and downs, but I know it's only going to get harder from here, and honestly, I'd much rather be working in a hospital than sitting in a classroom or in a laboratory all day. I want to learn, but it's much more exciting learning in at bedside or in the OR than in a lecture hall. It's also tough to realize all of the long hours I'm going to have to put in to become as good as the physicians I've observed and assisted. I know it's a long road, I just wish I didn't have to wait so long. But I'm ready and willing, and the best part is that these experiences keep me motivated. So they're good and bad, but mostly good.

Anyway, we're in Vienna now. We flew in WAY too early this morning from Hannover. But it's great. The city is beautiful and historical, just like all the cities we've been to. That's not to say that each city is the same. Somehow, they're all different, which makes each stop different and interesting in its own way. There's so much history in this part of Europe and even the smallest towns bring something different to the table. We've already learned a lot just here in Vienna, and tomorrow should be quite interesting as we tour the Freud Museum before receiving a lecture on the infamous psychologist from Dr. Wasser.

Lastly, I hope everyone back home is doing well. I love you all and miss you all a lot!

PEACE

Asher

No comments: