Thursday, January 15, 2009

Crossfire!

Thanks to Asher for getting that little 2 lines of a song stuck in my head for the rest of eternity.
The weather was actually really nice today! I was able to walk around for a little without a coat on; I hope it stays this way until we leave. All this "unusually cold weather" is wearing on me. Today's visit to the Medical History museum was fantastic! The wax figures were so realistic, and I couldn't believe that they were all originals, case and all, from the 1700's. The displays with the unborn babies' heads cut off were a little disturbing, as were the babies being delivered with forceps. I just googled instrumental birth, and it looks like that method is still used today! You learn something new everyday... Die Fledermaus last night was amazing! The perfect first experience at the opera. My favorite character was Alfred :), but the entire cast was great and I enjoyed every part of it... the acting, the singing, the orchestra especially. If I was not already decided on a career in medicine, I would seriously consider going into musical performance after seeing the concert in Prague and the operetta last night. Thanks to Dr. Wasser for planning that for us! -Just as a sidenote, I do wish that we were allowed to take our dogs with us everywhere in the states.- St. Stephen's Cathedral was beautiful; that should go without saying, every cathedral that I've ever visited has been amazing. However, I am a big fat scaredy cat and did not enjoy the visit to the catacombs at all. Especially the mass graves. I don't know how that will affect my studies in medicine, but just seeing all those bones piled on top of each other was *not* my cup of tea. Last but not least, I would like to write a bit about the visit to the Freud Museum. Before yesterday, I knew very little about Freud and his findings/research, and after Dr. Wasser's lecture and the museum tour, I have come to realize that he was a fascinating man. I don't think that I could handle studying any of his work in depth, but reading a biography about him sounds intriguing. I thought it especially interesting his relationship with Vienna, and I recall reading something like he thought of Vienna as a prison, but was content to stay and did not want to leave for London during the rise of the Nazis. That's all for now, although I know I left out several important things. Until next time!

No comments: