Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Post 6

Yesterday we visited the cardiac hospital in Bad Oeynhausen. This was probably my favorite part of the trip academically to date. The highlight of course was watching the open heart surgery. I saw an aortic valve replacement from beginning to near end. Surgery has always been my main interest and peaked while watching. The surgeon was a very skilled surgeon. She performed every delicate maneuver swiftly without any sign of hesitation. Everyone in the room listened to every word she spoke and knew that her words were law. The surgeon team was a intricate machine with the cauges working in perfect unison. If the other members with me had not been watching the clock I would not have known when it was time to leave, but they did, and I hesitantly left for the next part of the hospital tour. I was also really interested in the temporary heart pumps that the doctors showed us as I was unaware that we had reached that point in medicine yet. Overall, I feel like I took more from this day than any other day on this trip.

No comments: