Sunday, January 11, 2009

It's been to long......

I have waited way to long to write this blog. There is alot I have done since the last time I wrote. The short version is we visted Dresden on the 3rd, I got to have 2 days in Berlin to myself, and on the 6th we traveled to Hannover. The 7th, 8th, and 9th we spent visiting clinics and research facilities in Hannover and Göttingen. Ok now for the long version....
In Dresden we watched a movie about the protastant chruch there called the Church of Our Lady. I found it very interesting that the church was left as a rubble pile until after the wall fell. What was amazing to me was the support the town gave to the ressurection of the church to its original state before the war. The inside of the church is beautifully decorated in pastels and gold leaf, I would not mind going to church in that kind of setting. Later that day we visited teh German Hygiene museum, which features many interactive rooms devoted to the human body. We separated into groups of three and where givin the task of describing one room to the rest of the group. I don't know about anyone else, but I was nervous. Public speaking ranks up very high on my list of things I don't like, its right behind reptiles (and anyone who knows me knows thats high on my list). Once we finished at the museum, the Praugians left and Jared, Bian, Will, John and I went back to Berlin with Steffi and Dr. Wasser.
For our first free weekend I visited some of the museums in Berlin. I was very proud of myself for not getting lost on my way around town, I must admit that I am not a big fan of cities, but I really enjoyed my time in Berlin. The first day alone went pretty good until I went to look for a cafe, now this might sound strange but I looked for a good hour and could not find one! Did I mention it was snowing this entire time, so by the time I found one I was covered in water and my bag was soaked. I finally found one and was looking forward to some great hot chocolate, but I was to be disappointed. I think I found the only place in Berlin that had bad hot chocolate. Oh well, my next day proceeded to be much better. I was able to see the bust of Nefertiti, the DDR museum and Checkpoint Charlie. I was also able to find ( with Steffi's directions) a book store that sold some books in english. I was much in need of a new book since I had finished Blood and Guts the day before.
Our second week started on Tuesday, we checked out of the hotel in the morning and had the pleasure of lugging our bags to teh train station where, thankfully, we were able to drop them off in a group area. We visited the Charite museum and were givin a tour of the exhibits. I found the most interesting to be the specimins of diseased organs. It was pretty neat to see the effects of various diseases on the inside of the human body. After the tour Dr. Wasser gave a lecture in what looked to be the old anatomy theater of the Charite. We also had a lecture on complementary medicine givin by Frau Prof. Dr. Witt at the Charite. It seems that our guest lectures are moving from homeopathy to conventional medicine in steps. though I do not see any other guest lectures scheduled for our trip. That evening we travelled by train to Hannover and checked into our hotel. I really like the rooms in this hotel because thay are very big and I get gummi bears on my pillow! On a side note I believe that the keyboards here are messing with my ability to spell correctly. I have had to go back and fix so many words in just this one blog.
Speaking of this blog it seems to have got very long. I think I will finish the second week up later when I get back to Hannover. Now I will go to spend some time with my Aunt Ingred.

No comments: