Monday, January 05, 2009

Post 3

So during my last post I didn't mention much to the sites we had seen, but there have been many. Of those seen the cathedrals definitely stand out as the most impressive. The first one we saw was the cathedral in Cologne that towered over the city with its Gothic presence. It was the most amazing human built structure I had ever seen. The outside alone would have left me speechless. Ever detail of the church was unlike anything I had ever seen. I could have spent all day admiring the buildings exterior, but there was still more to see on the inside. The inside, too, was breathtaking. I could have walked inside all day admiring the many stainglass windows and details of the sarcophagi. The rest of the cathedrals we have seen left me just as amazed as the one before it. Several we have seen, and a few of us were even lucky enough to enjoy a mass on sunday morning in one of these.

We have really had the chance to enjoy the culture during the trip so far and I can honestly say I love it. The majority of the people are friendly and quick to help if we ask. Even though I speak almost no German I have been hampered very little. It seems as if everyone here is fluent in both German and English. Even when they say they speak very little the astonish me when I would have mistaken them as natural born english speaking. The atmospheres of the cities always seems alive and spirited, and you can't help but be inspired to enjoy your stay that much more. There is so much to see in this country and I cant wait to see what else I experience.

No comments: