Thursday, January 08, 2009

So much to say!!!

I feel like everytime I blog, which I know hasn't been much at all, there is a ton of stuff that I forget to say because we do so much everyday! It is so weird that we will be home in just over a week. This week has gone by really quickly compared to last week! I'm still having alot of fun though. It was good to have a traditional German dinner for pretty much the first time since I've been here last night at the fraternity house. I am a very picky eater so I was really surprised that I pretty much liked everything (except the ham, which I don't like at home either, and I only ate a little sauerkraut...I really doubt I spelled that correctly...but it was better than I expected it to be). I wish that I had felt better last night though because it would've been cool to meet the students there and hang out for a little while, even though I'm not really into the drinking scene.
Now that I'm finally used to this German keyboard I will have to readjust to the one back home!
One thing that I forgot to mention in the last blog that I thought was interesting is that medical school in Germany was free until recently and even now it is still much much cheaper than medical schools in the United States. I thought that the doctor made a very good point that students care much more about the quality of the education they receive if they have to pay for it though. I do feel like medical school in America could stand to be a little cheaper though. I'm not sure that I understand why tuition costs so much in America, yet it is almost free here in Germany.
The animal testing and research facilities that we visited today were pretty cool, though not my favorite thing that we've done. I never realized that so much went into animal testing and it was very interesting to learn about. I know that it is important for me to know about such things even though it does not directly apply to my future career. It was hard to believe that they had 35,000 rodents there and that they would soon be adding another 35,000 when the new building is complete in the next few years. I think my favorite part about the experience was hearing the new research that is being done, such as the "brain beads" that the two doctors (or professors, I'm not sure what their title was) talked to us about.
Off to Amsterdam tomorrow! It should be a very interesting trip...I'm hoping it's not as bad as what I've heard from some people, but I am pretty sure that we will be fine!

No comments: