Tuesday, January 06, 2009

traveling band

The past couple of days have been the days I have been worried about the most during my preparation for the trip. I am a very introverted person when I am not around people I do not know too well. My expectations going into the free weekends was to do what I usually do; enjoy my solitude and try to find some beauty in the world. I was very pleased to see how much fun would emerge because I was open to it. We went museum hopping, culture absorbing and enjoyed the subtle differences in the small things. Checkpoint Charlie museum was perhaps the best museum I have ever been because of the fact that the exhibit was so life-like and touching, I felt I was there. The stories of the people trying to reunite their families told next to the tools with which they did it were overwhelming at times. I have always been aware of the Berlin wall because of history classes but never until yesterday did it become so real to me.
On the more pertinent part of the trip, I have been really enjoying the history of the people who shaped the state of medicine today. Because of everyone’s hesitance in the common perception of the validity of the science performed by men such as Fleming, Virchow, Koch, and Pasteur, I am constantly trying to make sure I am not part of the stifling of rising medical research such as homeopathy and CAM. After going to the history museum this morning I noticed that I looked more openly to what the CAM lecturer had to say. Although I think her techniques to try to garner more respect for her new field were without merit and lacked any notable proof. But also one has to realize how much more efficient their health system is in comparison to the United States. I know this is kinda cheesy but I took Plan 370 and one of the main things I took away from Dr. Sweeney’s class was that health is a spectrum and the term health means being all you can be. Before that class my idea of health was just staying out of the hospital and not being 500 lbs. Although I want to say that I would look into acupuncture, homeopathy, and hydrotherapy as personal options for my future career path, I cannot. As I eluded to in another post, my mind is to entrenched in the scientific theory and way of thinking to start a career in something I have absolutely no shot of comprehending is impossible.
Looking ahead to the coming days it is hard to believe we are in the last half of the trip already. I really wish that we had more time together as well as in Germany. It has really been fun getting to know all of the people and learning the little things that make them laugh or cry. Ah history is great, but people are where it is at.

No comments: