Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Amsterdam!

So I know this is a little late, but it has been a while since I have been on a computer. We arrived in Amerstdam around an hour or two later than we were supposed to because of a train delay, and then we checked in at our hostel, The Flying Pig. It was a party house! There was a bar in the first floor with lots of people, and our room was in the basement and it sort of looked like a prison, haha! But I didn't think it was that bad. The next day, we went to Anne Frank's house first, and that was absolutely moving. Very sad and special at the same time. There were quotes of Anne Frank all around the house that made you visualize the things that she was going through, and it just seems unreal... After that we went to the Van Gogh museum, which I thought was interesting, but I find it hard to appreciate art and understand paintings, so I tried to make the best of it. Then we had the Heineken experience and it was so much fun! I got a free bracelet as well as two free beers out of it! Later in the night we toured the red light district and it was very scandalous!!! We actually saw the ladies standing in the windows, advertising themselves and waiting for someone to walk through the door and buy them! It actually scared me! Then we called it a night and went to bed!

The next day we did not adventure much... Just walked around in a few stores, read some in a cafe while drinking coffee, watched some people play pool, and then went on the train back to Hannover. Overall, I would say that I liked Amersterdam a lot! I have a better outlook on it than most other people in our group. I just thought that you had to understand the culture more (since prostitution and marijuana are legal in Amsterdam, there was a lot of both around!) in order to enjoy the experience. Not that I approve of either or those things or engage in those activities myself, I'm just saying! But for the record, I really liked Amsterdam and thought it was a pretty cool place.

No comments: