Friday, January 02, 2009

Thus far...

I am almost at lost for words, maybe because I have always had problems at putting them into writing but I shall definitely try....if I don't drive myself cray with the switch of y and z and the absence of the left shift!

Day 1/2 went smoothly without any plane or luggage difficulties. I acutally found the train station which was my greatest fear that day and made it to Cologne. There Dr. Wasser and I waited for Asher in the Starbucks where we experienced my first of many friendly Germans. However, this man studies neurology and is a professor here in Germany, which was a fun conversation to listen to as he and Dr. Wasser exchanged experiences and business cards. Who knows, maybe one day this program will be visiting him for a lecture in neurology!

Academically speaking, the first lecture on homeopathy was very interesting but I must admit that I am still skeptical. Most likely because I need more information about why certain things work than "like means like", granted it was a very broad topic for the given time slot, but none-the-less still interesting. I also enjoyed Dr. Wasser's lecture on eugenics. It is ironic to me to listen how Hitler and his followers, specifically the T-4 doctors, took such things a genetics and social Darwinism to the point of killing those deemed inferior or useless after reading an article on the plane ride over about how Charles Dawin, unlike Einstein,among other scientists, isn't as celebrated. Then to hear how his theory along with other written works were used to try and create a "superior race" was a unique parallel that I couldn't have completely gained full perspective of without this experience of being in Germany and seeing the T-4 memorial and Sachsenhausen.

I have more the write but for some reason I feel like I'm moving, maybe all the train travel is causing motion sickness. If my thoughts above seem scattered, I apologize! Oh.....and New Years at Brandenburg Gate was amazing, even though I didn't make it to the gate and the fact we found our way back after being in the city for onlz a few hours was sheer luck!! :)

No comments: