Saturday, January 03, 2009


While traveling on the EC to the city of Dresden, I’m reflecting on the past three days in Berlin. They have been action packed and there is no way that one person could even hit just the highlights in an entire month.
So far we have hit the natural history museum of Berlin which was definitely my favorite of the museums. It was at such a high level of learning that it was very interesting even to a group of pre-med students. I think there is an ideological difference in the American and German view of natural history as well. I went to a private high school and never learned anything about evolution and it was nice to see such a public museum utilize all of the scientific information and put forward the best model for the history of our world. We were booted out of the museum before we could really get into which saddened me.
We also visited the German parliament building which was interesting because of the architecture. It was a central room with tons of seats and all the way up this, tourists and citizens can view from the top. It shows that they believe that the government is something that should be visible to all Germans. I enjoyed that exhibit despite the temperatures of standing in line.
Overall the entire city exudes history and you cannot walk more than a block without finding something terribly historic or famous. I am extremely relieved that I am going back to Berlin after Dresden (instead of Prague) because there are still museums, exhibits, galleries, pubs, and restaurants that I must see before I leave.

No comments: