Friday, January 16, 2009

The end is near!

Yesterday was very fun! We started off by having a guided tour through the Medical History Museum at the Josephinum, where there was quite an extended collection of wax models of, well, everything in the human body! Plus more deformed babies, which was, once again, sort of disturbing to look at, but nevertheless interesting. After that we had free time, and I went to see the Bellvedere, an art museum/palace, and it was absolutely beautiful. All the rooms either had a chic, modern, artsy design to it, or it was a room of pure magnificence, with statues, heavenly painted ceilings, and the whole nine yards. Which with artwork from significant artists back in the day, including Klimts most famous piece of artwork, the Kiss. I have seen it before in pictures and such but seeing it in person is a whole nother story. In person you can just see the emotions in the painting, and if I of all people can see it (the not so artsy type) then I can't even imagine how other artists and art-lovers fell about it. It was made with real gold in the painting too. Anyways, at the palace there were also these beautiful gardens with statues everywhere! It would have been much more impressive during the summer, but it was still stunning in the winter as well. There was a maze garden also that I thought was awesome!

After Belvedere we visited the Natural History Museum. My favorite part was the aquarium! But thats only because I'm obsessed with marine life. I also saw dinosaurs, lots of bones, fossils, rocks, snakes, and other 'natural' things. And most importantly, I saw the Venus von Willendorf!!! That little tiny model with so much significance. Its amazing that it was that old and still intact. It was in pretty good shape for a twenty thousand year old or so artifact.

After that, we ate at Cafe der Provinz again, and then had some fun at a kareoke (spelling?) bar to celebrate a birthday and the end of the trip! It was so much fun haha. Good times. I can't believe this trip is almost over. I have learned so much in such a short time, I can't imagine going home as the same person. And its technically not even over for me-- I still have Paris left! I will get to be in Paris on my birthday (the 18th) and I am so excited!!! Whoop for me!

But really, so glad I did this. This has been an absolutely amazing experience.

No comments: