Sunday, January 18, 2009

Bubble Bath & Chicken-Ex

I can’t believe it is already over. The amount of preparation and money that went into this class was completely worth it. The people were some of the coolest people I have ever met. I am currently on a huge train ride to my flight to USA because I messed up on scheduling. To say that traveling alone is boring is the understatement of the year. I just spent 75 minutes next to a lady who knew no personal space. I would like to take this time to reflect on the past week in Vienna.
I was not really looking forward to going to Vienna because of the amount of things I still wanted to do in Berlin. Besides the fact that the doners in the city had a different kind of flavor, the city itself was one of the most beautiful places I have ever been. The streets were incredibly clean and the feel of the city was comparable to some stereotypical shopping centers in the United States.
My favorite group of things to see in our travels has to be the cathedrals. These architectural masterpieces are so grand and large I am considering Catholicism. I wish that we would pull our resources in America and make some structural giants equal to the technology and luxury we live in today. The Saint Stephens Cathedral in particular was my second favorite cathedral (first being the cathedral in Cologne) because of its size and location. I do feel it lacked the history of the Cologne cathedral. Every single detail in Cologne was masterfully carved and thought out. Saint Stephens is a beautiful church but I feel they did not put everything they could into it.
The doners. The doners. The doners. Without a doubt my favorite food of the trip was the doners. The textbook synergistic flavor of the onions, tomatoes, lettuce, mystery meat and ranch dressing-esque sauce hit the palette in a way that cannot be duplicated. After I messed up on my plane ticket and wasted a good 350 dollars, I decided the only thing I would eat from then on was the delicious doners. The doners in Berlin were good but lacked the spice that the Viennese utilized to perfection. I am tempted to drop out of TAMU and become the prince of doners.
The people in this class defiantly made this a trip to remember. When we started this trip I thought everyone was super quiet and this worried me. I am very quiet in real life but when I get comfortable I talk way too much. I was not expecting to make friends on this trip so I brought 4 large books and multiple ipods . To my surprise everyone ended up being friendly and welcoming. It was also great to get to know Dr. Wasser and learn from him. This has been a trip of a lifetime and I am so glad that I took a blind leap and went to a foreign country with people I did not know.
PROUST!
Sir Brian Gibson

No comments: