Wednesday, July 30, 2008

The Weekend and Bonn

This weekend was great!!! I loved not having to travel somewhere on Friday. We just stayed in Munich and relaxed. The English Gardens were beautiful! On Saturday we went with Mike Bike Tours to Neuschwanstein Castle. It was an amazing day! We biked to Swan Lake and went swimming. I have never seen a lake so clear and clean. It looked like glass. It was pretty cold, but it was such a nice swim, with the Alps rising right out of the water. I'm so excited to say that I have swam in an alpine lake! Then we had lunch and hiked up to the castle. It was gorgeous from the outside. The inside, even though only 16 of the 60 rooms were finished, was incredible. Everything was so ornate and intricate. Man did Ludwig have an obsession with Vagner. He had a hall just to perform his operas and a room made to look like a cave based from one of his operas. His bad was amazing, taking over 15 carpenters around 4 years to carve it. The country side was so pretty. I went to mass on Sunday at St. Peter's Cathedral. The inside was breathtaking. It was very interesting not knowing exactly what was being said. Overall a very nice and relaxing weekend.

Monday's excursions were okay. I did not really get a lot from the morning trip to the Federal Ministry of Food, Agriculture, and Consumer Protection. I felt like a lot of the information was a little over my head and the other information not the most interesting or relative to my interests. Hearing a little about the set up of the vet schools, particularly their certification process, was interesting. I enjoyed the afternoon a lot more. The Museum of the History of Anaesthesia was really neat. Horst Stockel had a very wide collection of artifacts. It was very informative to learn about all the different devices and the beginnings of anaesthesia. I would have preferred to have used some of the time in the morning at the museum instead. I felt very rushed at the end of the tour, and I think there was a lot more to learn. He was very entertaining, and I feel like he could have made it even more interesting if he included some of his stories if we had more time. Today has made me want to learn more about anaesthesia in general.

No comments: