Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Cultural learnings for make benefit glorious nation of USA

A weekend in Bavaria was a welcome change of scenery and culture while not being too different from that German lifestyle to which we've become acquainted. It only supported the stereotype I've heard about political views becoming more conservative the closer to the equator one gets. Life there seemed a little closer to the laid back Texas lifestyle most of us know well. I noticed more people strolling, and many fewer people in suits. Visiting the alps and seeing brilliant castles, biking to and swimming in alpine lakes, all of it was breathtaking. The eye candy was matched by the deep historical stories that surrounded each. Even the seemingly simple natural alpine lake had history which included being used to test Nazi U-boats before sending them to the ocean in the second world war.

This week, I've gotten the chance to eat a time or two with both of my host parents together. I've enjoyed getting to speak with locals about everyday issues. I also got to visit another host family that speaks English a little better. They asked about my life in Texas and I told them a bit about my life, including my parents divorce after I left for college. This sparked good conversation about relationships today and what it takes to have a good one. Talking about these things helped me to see first hand that despite the differences, Europeans face many of the exact same problems we face in America and go through the exact same situations. Our differences stick out so much that we often overlook the similarities. I don't have a lot of time left here in Germany, but I'm going to use what I have to focus more on the similarities; as for the differences I find, I hope to better understand the reasons behind them and take home everything I learn.

No comments: