Monday, July 07, 2008

I'm finally in Germany!

First of all bear with me, as this if my first blog... ever.
Before I came on this trip I didn't know what to expect but I was very excited.  I'm not one to come out of my comfort zone too often (i.e. Texas) but after Dr. Wasser talked to our physiology class about it, I really wanted to seize this opportunity.  I've been to Europe before but I came more as a tourist, and now I'm much more excited to apply my knowledge that I've learned in past classes to what we are going to see here in Germany.

On our first night with our host family, Dietmar (the dad) told us our room is for "sleeping only and the living room is where we would stay to sit or read."  It is funny he said that because if he didn't, I feel like apart of me would have stayed in my room, not to be a hermit but just for comfort reasons?  I feel like living with them is going to add to my experience much more than I thought it would.  

Saturday, instead of going on the walking tour our (Me, Christine, and Amanda's) host family (the Klose's) took us to Celle, a beautiful town about 3 hours north of Dusseldorf.  We met our host dad's mother, brother, sister, nieces, and nephews.  I definitely enjoyed their hospitality, and I love how they made us feel like family.  When we would eat I just wished I could speak just a little bit of German so I could converse with them or at least understand them.  Ahhh, why didn't they enforce learning another language when we were young?!  Taking a few years in high school of any language seems to be too late.  But, Saturday night we spent time having a few drinks with the cousins, and now Christine and I know our numbers!!

I feel very safe here in Dusseldorf, and I can't wait to see more of Germany.

No comments: