Friday, July 18, 2008

I can not believe how quickly the time has gone on this trip. I am glad that we are getting to visit different parts of Germany and making good use of our time even if we are super busy. 

Hanover was very exciting because we were able to begin viewing and discussing the medical field in Germany. The lung transplant was unbelievable. Last summer, I was able to observe many complex surgeries due to my internship in a hospital. I did not think watching a lung transplant in a pig would be that interesting. I was wrong. I found I love being in the operating room, no matter who is having the operation. I enjoyed hearing about how these experiments on animals is how we perfect human transplants. Seeing the newly attached lung inflate for the first time was an exhilarating feeling. I can not wait to be the one holding the scalpel one day.

I also enjoyed hanging out with some high school students we met Wednesday night in the hostel. I found it funny when they told me at age 16 they could drink a beer with us but would not be allowed to get their drivers license until they turned 18. This is so strange to me. It makes sense in a way though. They learn there tolerance for alcohol before they can even get in a car. I wonder if this prevents more drunk driving accidents in Germany?

We just finished watching the movie on student resistance in the Third Reich. It is weird to think that at my age Sophia had the courage to stand up to her country and say what was happening was wrong. I do not think I would do this. I like to follow the rules and would find it very difficult to take this stand, even if I believed what the government was doing was wrong.

I am excited to go to the aerospace medicine institute this afternoon. I have never considered the health problems associated with space flight. I look forward to being informed about such health issues that exist. I am also excited that we will be in the city of love by 10 pm tonight! 

Au revoir!! 

No comments: