Tuesday, July 15, 2008

A summary to date

The program so far has been amazing. The sheer volume of history in Germany is astounding, and the opportunity to see all the sights of Europe that I have is something I never thought I was going to be able to experience at such an early stage in my life. From the moment I first set foot off of the airplane, everything has been absolutely amazing. Düsseldorf and the Altstadt are wonderful, and meine gestmutter is very nice.

All of the excursions and activities have been very exciting, too! The scavenger hunt through Düsseldorf was great fun, even if the prize was for Subway, which might require me to break my oath to not enter an American chain restaurant. Of course, Köln was absolutely amazing. The tour on top of the alter point was mind-blowing, as terrified as I was of the sheer height we were up, and in the rain to boot! The history and size of the cathedral was astonishing, and that first moment when I exited the Köln hauptbahnhof and caught sight of it was something I'll remember for a long while.

Living in Germany is also a blast, even though the language is still giving me some trouble. Putting what I've learned in German class to use on the streets is a bit hard, and I've found it easier just to speak English, since the entire population here seems to know at least enough to get by with day-to-day requirements. Learning what I have is fun, though, and I try to use it when I can.

Not that there isn't any culture shock. The public transportation didn't take too much getting used to, since I've been all over Dallas's DART system, and I've had no trouble getting used to German food--in fact, I may come home ten pounds heavier--but the style of living here is very different. Orderly is a good word for it, I think, which does fit in with the stereotype. It's the little things that have a way of throwing me off--the way that lights turn yellow before turning green, and how the first floor here would be the second floor in America, and how I have yet to see a single pick up truck.

The little differences can be very good, though. For instance, I love the German attitude towards dogs. Everywhere I go, I see dogs! I love it, though it makes me homesick. I've been pretty good with the homesickness, though. I have yet to call home, though I do find myself ducking into internet cafes fairly regularly to check email and update facebook, and to chat with my boyfriend back home. But my host mother is very nice, and all in all, I am so busy having fun I barely have time to think about what I've left in the states!

My free weekend was again amazing, though that is perhaps a story for another blog. Trier, Köln, and Amsterdam make for a busy weekend. Likewise, Lehr und Forschungsstation was very enjoyable to see, especially as a pre-vet student. And now, I am very excited to see the zoo in Köln, and in fact, I need to leave to go catch the train there. More soon!

No comments: