Tuesday, July 15, 2008

B.O. and other marvels of Europe

So this weekend I went to Paris and was so excited about it. We got there and we saw how dirty the subways were among other somewhat unmentionable things and smells, and my expectations started to slowly decline. Anyway, we went to buy some metro tickets and we were trying to pay attention to how the people in front of us were doing it because the machine was all in French and none of us spoke french. Well, some nice Canadians saw us and helped us out and we were very grateful for it. I started to feel a little bit better about the weekend since there are some nice people around and such. Then, after a little bit of a crisis and panic attack we managed to get to our hostel. I want to right now black list this hostel and let everyone know that no one should ever stay there, EVER!!! It was called the Aloha Hostel and it was nasty. The entire place smelled like b.o. and I was a little scared to go to the restroom. So anyway we checked in and then went to grab something to eat. I personally think that the French tend to smoke more than Germans. Our waiter was smoking as he was taking our order for pizza with egg on it. It was definitely interesting to say the least. The one thing I really liked about Paris though was that we didn't have any trouble getting around. You always hear that the French people will be snobby and rude if you try to speak English to them but we never got that. It was a good surprise and made the weekend much better.
Also, the research farm we went to yesterday was a really informative and fun experience. I personally am very interested in reproduction technologies so I found everything he was saying to be extremely interesting. Also, I had no idea that it was such a popular trend within their industry. I know our dairy industry is almost completely dependent on A.I. but I never heard that it was such a big deal over here so that was fun to learn. Also, the fact that their cattle are used for dual purpose instead of strictly dairy or strictly beef like our industry was really interesting. I never knew about that either. In other words, yesterday was alot of fun and I learned alot so I'm really glad we got to go.

No comments: