Monday, July 21, 2008

Back home ...in a sense

With each passing day I grow more comfortable here. I really enjoy Germany and its people, but I wasn't sure if that was because it's the only European country in which I've spent much time. After a few weekends in other countries now, I feel I can say with a little more assurance that it is the German lifestyle specifically with which I identify. I am an ordered and regimented person myself. I enjoy clean places and respectful people who do not interfere with others. What I've seen of the Netherlands and France leave different impressions. Whether I see kids spray paint a French tram on my first ride, or get offered elicit drugs just as I walk out of the Amsterdam main station, I can definitely tell the difference.

A strange feeling I experienced this weekend was something like a saturation of new, beautiful, interesting places. Paris is an amazing city, and I think everyone should experience it at least once, preferably for more than a day and half like me, but I couldn't see myself staying there. Perhaps it was just because it is such a huge international city, but I felt a general difference in attitude and culture. I really enjoyed the free walking tour we took starting at St. Michel, but I think after a few weeks of seeing more and more buildings with historical significance and lasting beauty, that my brain needed a break.

I'm glad to be back in Germany. It was amazing to me that the sound of the German language is now a comforting one. The little German vocabulary I have is vastly greater than my French one. The time of the Nazis and the history involving is it extremely intriguing me, so I think I'll be back in the mood for some more sightseeing.

No comments: