Sunday, July 27, 2008

Oh ya know....Swimming in Alpine Lakes...

So Munich has been amazing! I know it´s ´touristy´ but I love the Bavarian culture and history. This weekend we got to relax on Friday! Wait maybe you didn´t hear me...we got to relax! It was great! It was so nice just staying the weekend here without needing any extra traveling. We maximized the time of our weekend. This calm feeling is really making me think about staying in Düsseldorf next weekend, but maybe Prague will be calling my name. I would really like to go to Prague, because I heard it wasn´t damaged that much in WWII so it has a lot of old architecture. Also, I heard it is very Catholic. So we shall see if I end up going there or relaxing in the big D!

One thing I have enjoyed very much is the difference of Catholic masses everywhere I have gone. The Catholic church is universal, as is the mass; however, some of the masses I have been to here haven´t been quite the same. One in Düsseldorf, which I have gone to twice, only had one reading, no psalm, and doesn´t say the creed. Notre Dame was pretty much on the money and was amazing, awesome (true meaning of the word), and I can say I have gone to mass in Notre Dame! This weekend I went to St. Peter´s right off of Marienplatz. It was really pretty inside. It had a high altar and the altar´s gold work reminded me of St. Peter´s in Rome. They also only had one reading, and they didn´t give peace to each other. Next week I want to go to Köln, which is another reason why I might want to stay in Düsseldorf. Seeing the differences in the masses has been a huge part of my culture experience in Germany. I can´t wait to come back again and get to experience different churches, food, lifestyle, usw in Europe. I have been to mass at St. Peters in Rome, a church in Lucerne, Notre Dame, St. Pauls in Düseldorf, and St. Peters in Munich. It has shown me how awesome Catholicism is, and has fueled my faith which I have been here in Germany.

This weekend we also got to see Ludwig II´s Neuschwanstein Schloss. It was awesome. It wasn´t just the castle that was great, it was the whole day. There were 7 of us, and we went on a Mike´s bike tour trip there. We go to go on a bike ride around the area, GO SWIMMING IN AN ALPINE LAKE, go to the castle, and see some magic (our tour guide was a magician as well!). When spent most of the day there, and I am so glad that we went! There were some tourists there, but it was really fun regardless! Then after we got back into town we went to the Hofbrau house and had 1L of beer...of course! I love German dark beer! Then we went to the Olympic Center and saw a phenomenal firework/light show! It was incredible! I am so glad we go to go and experience that and see the Olympic park! So now I have seen fireworks twice in Germany, so I think I´m over missing the 4th of July! Plus these firework shows put the ones I have seen in the US to shame!

Well I am glad we are going back to Düsseldorf next weekend. I need to get some unique Düsseldorf gifts for some friends (Mustard, Killepisch (sp?), usw). Also, it´s our last week with our host families, which makes me sad! But I am also looking forward to Berlin. So Tschüß for now, and bis später!

No comments: