Thursday, July 10, 2008

Koln and HAPPY 21st BIRTHDAY AMANDA!

Yesterday we were in Cologne- Koln.  It was such a great great experience to visit the cathedral that holds the three wisemen and actually see their caskets.  The church was beautiful and being able to see the town of Cologne from the top was very scary but definitely worth it.  The most touching experience for me was visiting the El-De haus.  Ever since I was in the 6th grade I would read books about the Holocaust and novels that were written about their exile.  I was greatly moved by all of the history that surrounded me, and even though I knew some of the information already, I couldn't help but listen intently.  Walking through the office building of the Gestapo was pretty much mind boggling.  Hearing the stories about putting children on a bus and gassing them in the middle of nowhere and seeing pictures actually hurt; there was a pain in my chest.  As we were in the basement, I couldn't help but feel my heart ache again as our tour guide explained their living situation, if you would even call that living.  So far this experience has been the most memorable for me because it truly touched me that aren't any adequate words to describe all that I felt during the tour.
On a much lighter note, today is Amanda's birthday!!! Christine and I woke up extra early today to decorate the table for breakfast with every birthday decor you can imagine.  Amanda's candle on her cake was a sparkler!  It is time spent with my host family such as these that shows me just how important family is to them.  Obviously we are not the Klose's real children, but they are so generous and definitely treat us like their own.  Tonight we are celebrating Amanda's birthday and the Klose's have invited everyone to an authentic German dinner.  I cannot wait to taste more of the their delicious food, and listen to our host parents tell jokes and entertain us.

No comments: