Sunday, July 20, 2008

The second week

I have been incrediby amazed by the European countryside. Travelling by train has allowed me to see some of it. The first weekend that I had free most of the group and I were able to travel to Trier and Amsterdam. I completely enjoyed it and I feel that it was a good chance to get to know the group a little better. In Amsterdam we got to go to the Ann Frank house. The museum was really well done and it helped me visualize what really happened. It is one thing to read it and imagine what it looked like, but it is another to actually stand where it happened. It makes it easier for you to emotionally connect with history and better understand what she and her family had to go through to hide from the Nazis.
During the week, we got to study in Bonn, Hannover, and Köln. I thought that the medical school at Hannover was really interesting, but the Institute of Aerospace Medicine was my favorite. I have never thought about all of the medical issues that effect astronauts, and also about physicians that have to work along side them to make sure they remain healthy in space. It seems to me like it would be a very interesting and exciting job to have, and it has brodend my my knowlege of what physicians can have carrers in. I also really enjoyed seeing the equipment that the physicians and scientists use to run tests and record research, especally the centrifuge.
This past weekend most of the group and I went to Paris. It was a lot cleaner and safer than I remember it. The only problem was that the people were still rude. Once again I feel that I got to know the group a little better and it made me more excited for the remainder of the time that I get to spend with them.

No comments: