Thursday, July 24, 2008

Munich

I am loving this city! It is so nice to just walk around, and there is always something to see. The tour yesterday was really informative and helped me get a good feeling of the city and directions. I loved all the churches! I am going to try to go to mass on Sunday, since I haven't been able to this whole trip. I am very excited to experience mass in Europe! I still can't get over all the history in these cities! I love this area and the people.

Today was very hard for me. Seeing Dachau really hit me. Standing there, having the pictures in my mind of all the people who did not survive, gave me a very eerie and disturbing feeling. Hearing the descriptions of the torture, the experiments, and the deaths, I felt so ashamed of what humans did to other human beings and horrified that something so atrocious was even possible. To think that concentration camps are not completely a thing of the past is incredibly frightening. The movie brought me to tears, seeing the faces of those who died and their emaciated bodies. It was a good experience to see the camp, but I don't really ever want to see it again. I feel it is important for us to know about the past in order to change our future, and I feel visiting these places is a way to accomplish that. I was hoping to hear more medical details about the experiments. Not necessarily all of the specifics about the experiments, but maybe discuss the physiology behind some of the results. I feel like this week has not been focused on medicine as much as I was expecting. I am still learning a lot though, about the history, the culture, and myself.

No comments: