Sunday, July 13, 2008

"Dude, there's a hair on my pillow"

Me and Pete are here in the Amsterdam public library waiting for our train to arrive later on this evening, and we figured this would be as good a time as any to post to the blog. Amsterdam has been great, at first I was a little intimidated by everything but now that we have been here since Friday I feel like I am getting the hang of things. The Dutch are a completely different culture from Germany, at least as far as I can tell. They are extremely laid back (for obvious reasons) and are not afraid to be open about everything (such as other certain sights in the city). Whether it was the 5 year old kid wearing a shirt that says "HOLY SHIT", the children's museum with an entire floor dedicated to sex and what goes down during puberty, or the people that seem to anywhere and anytime bust out a joint (the steps leading up to the library for example), it is very obvious that this is a completely different place from America, let alone Germany. Pete and I had some great adventures here, but I am definitely dragging and really looking forward to getting back to Dusseldorf and actually sleeping. I also experienced my first hostel (what the title is referring to), it was dirty in place, but not bad at all. You really get a great chance to meet a lot of people that are just like you, travelling around looking for a good time. I never thought that I would go out and party with 2 Canadians, an Austrailian, and a Brit in Amsterdam one night. This entire trip has opened me up to so many new experiences it's amazing. I'm looking forward to Zoo and travelling to Bonn this week, and having a real meal from my family as opposed to the crappy 1 Euro frozen pizzas we bought at the grocery store here to eat at the hostel (though it sure is easy on the wallet). I think Pete is going to give the low down on everything that happened this weekend, so I'll quit typing and yall can read his.

No comments: