Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Taking it all in...

Today was alot to take in. Between getting the creeps by standing in the former rally grounds to trying to take in all I can at the documentation center, I'm not sure what all I'm supposed to feel. When we were at the rally grounds, the weather definitely added to mood I was in. All I could imagine was thousands of angry Nazis standing around looking up at Hitler. Hitler was actually there, on those grounds. It just really creeped me out. I couldn't even get up on the grandstand pedestal thing that he stood on. I didn't want to know what that felt like. It was kind of the same thing everywhere else we were, except for maybe the castle. I was just trying to imagine how it was used back in the times of the Nazi party. The documentation center was pretty amazing though with all the red brick and stuff. It was alot to take in though, but I tryed to listen to everything because I felt like it wouldn't be respectful to the people who died during Hitler's time to zone out and not care. What I did like about everything today though was the fact that our discussions did not focus mainly on the Holocaust. I know that it was a major factor to the war but it was interesting to learn about everything else that was going on and not have it overshadowed by the concentration camps and genocide. One thing I have noticed though is that with all of the World War II talk no one has mentioned Japan. They were the reason we entered the war so obviously we talk about them in our history classes but I have yet to hear about them from any of our tour guides. If I remember, I plan on asking one of them about that.

No comments: