Thursday, July 17, 2008

An Excursion to Remember

This week has flown by fast! We just got back from Hannover where I got to visit their Veterinary school. Being there and getting hands on experience with their cattle has made me even more eager to study mixed animal practice. Having worked at a dairy clinic back in west texas it was great to see the similarities and differences between the techniques taught here, and our techniques back home. As we got the chance to walk around the clinic and help out, the meaning of 'order' was totally displayed. The first time we walked through we gave each cow their medications, but before that, we got everything completely ready (seringes, cottonball with alcohol, etc) on a pan before going into each stall. This was done for every cow there (~40). Afterwards we did one more walk through before heading out, and this included looking at their written list of medications for which cow and then comparing it to their chart outside each stall. Then a quick examination of each cow. I absolutely loved the dairy clinic I worked for, but I don't ever think we were the thorough, and everything was much more fast paced when giving injections or vaccines. --- the vet school was a great experience---

I really enjoyed this trip not just because of getting to visit the vet school but because I learned a lot about things I never thought to think about. I guess coming from a semi small town, seeing cows or feed lots never bothered me. I never thought to myself was it right or wrong. I do not necessarily think it is wrong right now either, but it has made me see the oposing view. I've always loved to hear what others had to say on particular issues, and I feel that being in the animal field it is very important to have an open mind and be well informed about these topics at hand. With this being said, I noticed a difference in the way we treat our livestock and how German's do so here. They seem to seek out the best possible environments for their cattle, horses, dogs, etc. Everytime we went to a stall to see another cow, if they weren't a 'downer' cow, they would be in a stall where there was a lot of sunlight and fresh air because Dr. Meyer assured us that it is very important for them to have that natural environment while they were at the clinic. When we got home, my host father was talking to us about horses, and how he refuses to use and bit, harness, or any restraint on horses, and he was very adiment about any of those harm them. Regardless whether they are right or not, I am absolutely enjoying the fact that I am hearing different views from a different country.

This is only the second week and I have found everything very interesting to me. I feel so much more informed on topics I never thought to be informed about. I can't wait to see what else Germany and the rest of our excursions will bring!

No comments: