Thursday, January 10, 2008

An update

I must confess, I have fallen behind in my blogging. Things have been busy and the internet cafe hours have been less than admirable!!!

I really enjoyed Prague, it was incredible! It was definetely a major tourist hotbed. If you venture off the main tourist avenues, the prices drop to almost a third of what they are a couple blocks away!!! That being said, I wished I had more time in the city. Prague castle, which in reality is a cathedral mixed with palaces and buildings of all sorts covers a vast area towering over the city.. It took over 1,000 years to build it all!!! To see everything in that spot alone would take a full day, which we did not have. So it was with regret that I left Prague on Sunday dragging my baggage through the snow which was everywhere!

We reached Hannover without much incident, while we did not tour much of the city itself, the medical facilities surrounding the area are pretty incredible.

I was a bit flattered to hear that in general the German doctors thought highly of American healthcare and it was a change of pace to hear the good things instead of the bad things in which many people focus. The hospital was top notch, perhaps my favorite part of the trip. The surgeons where friendly, explaining the procedures as they performed them. The ICU in the afternoon was a bit sombering, seeing patients who stood on the edge of death, with only a thin veil composed of medical technology and practice seperating them from that unknown road. Despite some differences, the spirit of medicine seemed to be the same.

After Hannover, we made a fairly long transit on train to München, our last city. I was a bit saddened to get off the train, knowing that the new scene would be the last breath of German life this trip. So far the city has been far from disappointing.

No comments: