Tuesday, January 01, 2008

Bringing the Superman to Berlin.

New Years was an event that literally leaves me...speechless. Yes, it was super enjoyable, but you really have to experience it in order to understand how vivid it was... the colors, the smells, the cold were all a complete aesthetic bombardment. It struck me as super surprising, because the Berliners seem to have an innate reserve, but when they decide to have a festival, they make sure it includes big screens and roughly a kilometer of entertainment. I was a bit sad I didnt see a live bear though, nothing would have surprised me at that point. The lights, food, music, fireworks, people...are all something that I am likely never to forget. walking back was pretty crazy too..i felt like i was going to step on a firecracker, they were all over the place.

Today was a ton of fun as well, but uber exhausting. Me, Courtney, Yao and Michael went 'museum hopping'. I saw Renoir, Monet, Schuler...amazing impressionism, gothic styles, old coins, middle aged works, Egyptian tombs, etc. I also brushed up on my Greek God History by visiting the Paramuseum (not how you spell it). I promise you, I could stand right smack dab in front of an old statue of Casear and stare at him for hours. I also made friends with the museum guard while asking him if we could use 'blitz.' (two hours later, when I lost my ticket, this came in handy).

Walking up the steps of the National Gallery also made me feel like Scarlet O Hara from Gone with the Wind. (all right, I also made Michael take a picture) Yao also recognized the full form of the statue that we saw in the palace. (Louisa and Fredericka must have been beautiful) Wandering outside, we got some currywurst and saw the snow fall softly into the river. It was an absolute dream. Now very hungry, we trooped over towards a Thai Restaurant, apparently, Jins or Pho Johns isnt the best we could get. I decided to try something new, and it was worth it.


I now realized that my post title has nothing to do with what I wrote about. Okay, so at the Brandenburg gate, Pablo decided to show the Berliners an American dance´, and I am sure that all of us agree it was pretty hilarious. Ill post it on Facebook later, but it just cracked me up and Im sure the world will want to see Pablo and company celebrating.

No comments: