Thursday, January 10, 2008

Climate Change

(I have been delayed on some of my blog posts, so I figured that I would make a few blog posts since most of my comments will pertain to different issues.)

I am a warm weather person, but I do like something different every once in a while. Thus, I can honestly say that the change in climate here in Germany is one of the things that has made this trip so memorable. The weather here is such a sharp contrast to the lovely, hot weather that we get in Texas. It can get cold in Texas sometimes, and I honestly can't recall all of the times when I have been freezing cold in a deer blind. However, none of that compares to the weather here. I have never been as cold as I have been here, and I really miss the hot Texas sun.

Yet, I do kind of like the cold. It is different, and I am a little bit amazed it and the local reaction to it. The people here treat the cold the same way that we in Texas treat the extreme hot weather. They avoid the cold weather, bundle up, and stay inside with the heater just like most of us Texans avoid the hot weather, strip down to shorts, and stay in with the air conditioning. Observing this reaction to the weather has really made the climate change tolerable, and the feeling of hate that I had for cold weather has slowly changed into a feeling of tolerablility. I find myself asking now "if Germans could stand this weather, then maybe I could too", and I wonder if I could adapt to this kind of weather or even begin to like it if I stayed here for a much longer period of time.

Now, just as we are about to leave for home, the weather takes a turn toward a more familiar climate. This sunny weather here in Munich is really nice and warm providing a sharp contrast to the freezing weather that we left behind in Berlin four days ago. The weather is getting me a little bit excited about returning back home to Texas weather, but I am starting to wonder if I will miss the cold?

No comments: