Monday, January 14, 2008

Moi Moi!

Cruising down the highway at astronomical speeds was a great wake up call for my airplane flight back to Texas. I felt so much nostalgia on my way back... the cab driver was playing Oldies music, also typical. We have created some amazing memories, and I love that I spent time with you guys. And now I keep on typing "y" in place of z and automatically press CTRL ALT Q for email addresses. I suppose I will adjust again!

My last day in Germany was crazy cool. Once again, the weather cooperated with us. We visited the Max Planck Institute for psychiatry. This is my cup of tea so I was utterly fascinated by being able to actually TOUCH documents that asked for funding for additional experimentation. I get goosebumps just thinking about it. The most interesting statement that the doctor told us was regarding the definition of a genius. Although I am not one, I occasionally like to pretend like I am, so I was utterly fasinated. Apparently, geniuses like Albert Einstein (his case study was sitting on the table!) have more of a tendency to experience psychosis in the family earlier on. Hows that for racial hygeine?

Afterwards, me and Courtney did a whirlwind tour of Munich for stuff to bring home. we made some interesting purchases.

Dachau literally touched me in a way that nothing else ever has. (I am so sorry everybody that my phone rang...I had no idea that my phone was actually on) The stories...the memories....the tale of the poet let my eyes glassy with tears and my spirit a little down. I have no idea that such inhumanity exists. I just spent an hour trying to catch a spider (which I'm terrified of) to set outside because I didn't want to kill it, when years back we were killing each other.

Afterwards, we had a fun dinner, and I'm glad we like each other because we def. had to cram into that booth! I suppose I will end with some last comments. I will never forget never being able to properly open/close those annoying locks on every door in every hotel. I will remember the snow and how fast we can get each other sick. When I walked through the Michigan terminal, my eyes were searching for a Doner stand, and I felt crestfallen when all I saw was Pizza Hut and Chilis Too. I watched TRL this morning instead of RTL, and am sad that I will no longer see domino/dart competitions in German. (all right, I was also hooked on David Hasselhof...and Germans still have faith in the Angry beavers) Okay, I was glad to see free restrooms. But I made sure to not use too much toilet paper and minimal soap. I turned off all my lights this morning, and decided that air conditioning and ice are over rated. I dug around for my nickels because I forgot we are allowed to break a fifty with a pack of gum, and realized that my Southern gentlemen still open doors. There wasn't a mob to buy a cookie at the Underground, only a neat line, which I also consider a lack of fun now. My last words will be Moi Moi. If only that meant hello and goodbye, and even though it doesn't, we can pretend that it does. Take care! Smile and say hello if we run into each other on campus.

No comments: