Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Dachau

I decided that I would wait to make my last few posts after I was able to review all of the pictures I had and take in all the things that we had done and seen. Immediately in my review, I was confronted with the few images that I took of Dachau. There are only a few places that I have been to that have carried as much emotion and history as Dachau.

I had heard from other people who had traveled to Germany that visiting a concentration camp was an expirience that you would never forget, and I had attempted to prepare myself ahead of time for the expirience. Yet I don't think that anyone can really prepare for such a visit. One can only attempt to understand the history and events that led to its existance and then interpret its affect on the people and history associated with it. I started off taking pictures of Dachau and our tour, but it wasn't long before I realized that I didn't need pictures to remember Dachau. I will never forget the images and emotions associated with Dachau or our visit.

I know that it was a very sober event, and it put a damper on the end of our trip. Yet it also put an emphasis on the recent history that had such an obvious impact on the people that we had met, and the culture we expirienced.

No comments: