Friday, January 11, 2008

Never Again

One of the large memorials in Dachau boldly states: Never again. But as we know from current and past events, genocide is still a major problem in society. Having said that, I do believe that with education about the past (remembering history repeats itself) and compassion within our hearts for one another, nothing of that horrific magnitude will happen again.

I have been profoundly hurt and touched by the past two days. I cannot possibly understand or imagine why the atrocities we have seen and talked about were committed. But I do feel from my experience today that only pure evil drove those acts. And I feel that even in the darkest circumstances, we can find light. As we walked out of Dachau, I looked to my right, saw a cross and a beautiful sunset as the backdrop. And then I knew then that even in a place that Satan and evil men made ugly, God can make things beautiful. Beauty in the holocaust came in the form of the few brave people who risked everything to save even one life. Beauty came in prisoners uniting and helping one another, spiritually, emotionally, and intellectually.

I am grateful for all of my experiences here... especially today. I feel like I'm a stronger person now- I really didn't know if I could make it through the camp. It hurt so much to look around, to think about the inhumanity of the holocaust, to think about the prisoners who walked where I was walking. But I am grateful for that pain- hopefully that pain will help me to never forget: NEVER AGAIN

1 comment:

Carrie Williams said...

I love you girl!!!