Friday, January 04, 2008

Six Feet Under

Today we visited Dresden in order to check out a few exhibits at the Museum of Hygiene. Although it was a bit creepy, I found that the Six Feet Under Exhibit was absolutely amazing.

Because it is often difficult to come to terms with death, it was displayed in an exhibit with lifelike displays. The piles of candy, the wax artist, the models in Gucci Suits, all of them showed such a tragic beauty in their demise. It got me thinking to how the most we have ever felt alive must be when we are born and when we die, and like Dr. Wasser says, the first breath takes 50 x more effort than any other that will ever be taken. I believe that Dr. Wasser also said that most people fear the process of dying, but not the actual moment itself. I suppose, álthoúgh this past paragraph sounds a little morbid, a part of the whole Germany experience has taught me to appreciate life on a whole different level. I mean, yesterday, me and Courtney went to go visit the Gemeldegalerie. We saw Rembrandts, and lovely portraits from Itálians, the Scots, etc. All of these paintings left such a mark in the artistic world. I know that when I leave, I want to leave a mark as well, and I probably didnt need to see an exhibit on dying to tell me to live for the moment, but I know that I have been enjoying the past week immensely.

Other than the Six feet Under special exhibit, I also saw fantastic, hands on activities in other areas such as beauty, food, health, etc. The huge cell display, food recipe finder and invisable cow I found absolutely fascinating. Dresden is also a beautiful city, but a bit cold. I have also learned to appreciate the Texas heat!!! 'It is good to be king!' pretty much sums up the experience at the castle.

No comments: