Thursday, January 10, 2008

Hannover and Munich

I was sort of sad to leave Berlin, where we had finally learned our way around, but glad to get to see a new city. Hannover was wonderful! I enjoyed the tour of both the vet school and the medical school. The vet school was especially interesting getting to see the facilities and what it entails. I had previously decided that I didn't want to be a vet, but now I am considering it again. At the medical school, I liked the information about the way the German medical system is set up and the comparisons with that of the US. An interesting topic with the current political debate in the US about changing/introducing a healthcare program.

The farm that we visited was also interesting. I didn't realize that poultry was so young when sent to the slaughterhouse, or the kind of condition the laying hens are kept in. Some interesting considerations of bacteria and other infection that is more likely to arise with the quasi free range system and needing to balance that concern with the poor body conditions of birds kept in the more sanitary close-quarter cage system. The robo-milker was awesome! I didn't know much about dairy cows, so all of that information was new and interesting. I thought pigs were kept in mudpuddles, but apparently not!

Munich is a rather interesting city, and, as Dr. Wasser said, is more like the picture of Germany people think of, with the clothes and lots of beer. It is also closer to the Alps, but a warm front came through, so the weather has been nice and rather mild, with highs around 47 (F). :)

After the city tour today, I did some souvenir shopping and am happy to say that I am done! I can't believe that our stay in Germany is almost over! It's been wonderful, but of course, too short.

No comments: