Saturday, January 05, 2008

German Exercise and Culture

Well, I have never felt like much of a museum kind of guy, but I thought that a trip to a few of the museums here in Berlin would be constructive on our day off. I have always wanted to see painting froms some of the masters here in Europe, and today I had the opportunity to see some amazing paintings from the 17th and 18th century. I was amazed by the works of impressionists and other artists that I remember learning about in junior high, and I got some good pictures. I also must comment on some of the landscapes which I think were excellent at depicting the power of nature over man.

I also ventured to the Pergamon Museum which has older art from Mesopotamia, Ancient Greece, and some other special exhibits on Islamic art and the concept of hell which was also excellent. However, I had to rely more on reading the captions next to each exhibit which took some deciphering and interpretation to determine what I was looking at. There were very few captions in English, so I got a major exercise in German to go along with my cultural experience. I also need to note that the museum has an excellent exhibition on death, and it also had a few pretty cool pieces that pertained to medicine (religion and rememdies). In the end, I got much less out of the experience that I should have due to my weak German skills, but it was still worth going.

No comments: