Tuesday, January 08, 2008

i never know what to title these

Man, it has been a while since I have blogged so forgive me, it's going to be a long one.

First off, Dresden was beautiful. I liked it a lot...the courtyard was probably one of the coolest thing I saw. Along with the Protestant church and the Cathedral. Our day in Dresden was cut short, but instead of going back to Berlin, Carrie, Brandon, and I left for Prague. It was so beautiful! I will admit that when we arrived the first night, it really creeped me out because it was so dark and shady compared to Berlin. I didn't feel that great walking around there so late at night but we eventually got to our hotel in one piece. We went and did the sight seeing thing the next day but there is so much to see in Prague, it was impossible to see everything in one day!! The next day we headed towards Hannover and actually dominated the DB system. We didnt get lost, and we were on time for all our trains. It was so good to see everybody again Sunday night on the streets of Hannover!

Yesterday we went to visit the TiHO veterinary school and the Medical School of Hannover with a focus on the nephrology department. The vet school was very cool and I knew that it made Carrie so excited to be around those large animals. It was very cool to do the rectum/ovary palpation. The medical school was interesting except it was all focused on nephrology. I guess I had trouble following along with everything they were talking about. The guides for the day were really sweet and I only found out after the day was over that they volunteered to do all that. The traditional German dinner at the frat house afterwards was good especially the sauerkraut, which I found out was from a can! Still good, still made my tummy full. I really appreciated everything they did for us last night.

Today we went to the Heart and Diabetes Center in Bad Oeuyhausen. Michael and I got the chance to watch a coronary bypass surgery! I had never even been in an operating room, well with the exception for the time when I was operated on. We actually got to see everything really close up, starting with the prep by the anethesiologist and through the surgery until we had to meet everyone in the cafeteria. It was by far my favorite thing that we have done. The smell of the burning flesh was not something I enjoyed. Another doctor had to perform a skin graft on the man's leg to find a vessel to use as the actual bypass (thing). Then we went to the ICU for patients recovering from heart surgery. It was one thing to see the LVAD in the office but it was something completely different to see it on the boy who needed it while he waited for a transplant.

No comments: