Friday, January 11, 2008

Farewell

Today is the last day of our German adventure. I feel like I've really gotten to know both Germany and my classmates, and it makes me sad to have to leave them both. All that's left is the farewell feast.

This day is also an emotional one for reasons besides having to leave. In the morning, we visited the Max Plank institute for psychiatry. It was sort of interesting, although I've never really developed a taste for history, which is what we talked about. Although, some of the topics on racial hygiene were quite fascinating.

During lunch, I decided to be stupid and finish my candy shopping in a Bahnhof mini-mart. Huge Mistake. I ended up paying three times as much as the Schlecker down the street was charging for the same thing. I tried to return the tainted stock, but to no avail. Man, I was pissed. Oh well, you live, you learn.

In the afternoon, we visited the concentration camp at Dachau right outside München. I have to say it was one of the most emotional experiences I've ever had. Many times, I was on the verge of tears, and during the movie I actually did cry. The information presented to us by the tour guide was truly horrifying and he conveyed it well. However, it was the images of the emaciated prisoners that got to me. I really had no idea just how cruel man could be to man until learning the details of the camp. To think that Auschwitz was described to be so much worse kinda sickens me. Hmm....

No comments: