Thursday, August 11, 2005

saying goodbye

So we're in Berlin and in less than 24 hours I will be on my way across the Atlantic, back to Texas. Its crazy to think of how fast the 5 weeks have passed, and how much has happened during our time here. Truely a once in a lifetime experience.

However, I have to admit that I'm ready to go home. Last weekend when we were in Austria I was still really excited to be in Europe and I wasn't homesick for Texas or America, or American food or anything. I missed my family of course, but it wasn't too big of a deal to still be here. Once we came to Berlin though, something switched. I think it was leaving Düsseldorf for good, with all of my bags packed. Dragging all of the heavy bags through the Berlin public transportation system on Tuesday was an experience...one that I don't care to repeat. Shannon, Lindsey, and I are sharing a taxi to the airport in the morning. It was nice that I became comfortable enough in Düsseldorf and with my host family that it felt like a second home. Ashley and I really lucked out because we not only got Kirsten and Kristoffer (amazing people on their own) but we also got the extended family as well.
The Opdenbergs were amazing. On Monday night we closed a circle with a big family dinner. On our very first night in Düsseldorf we all gathered at Margot and Fredy's for a barbeque dinner, so it was fitting that on our last night in Düsseldorf we all came back together at Margot and Fredy's for dinner again. We had planned on another barbeque, but the weather was too bad and we ended up eating breads with a lot of funny 'traditional' meat spreads on it. (aka, raw meat) Jean got away with sneaking hers to the dog as usual, but the rest of us aren't as skilled at sneaking food to Toby. We all ate a lot, and drank a lot of wine. Fredy was in a practical joking mood, so there were a lot of laughs as well. It was cool to compare this dinner with our first one, when we all were tired and a little nervous. At this dinner I actually felt as if we were a part of the extended family, which was awesome. Next summer my parents and I are planning on coming back to Europe, so I hope I#ll get to come back to Düsseldorf and see the Opdenbergs again. We're going to try to keep in touch. I hope we manage it.

No comments: